To configure the extension start by:
- opening the extension pane by selecting any message from your message list
- clicking on the "Settings" tab in the bottom navigation bar
- If you have been given a "Preset" configuration by your IT administrator, select it in the first field (set to "custom" in the image above) then scroll to the bottom and save the configuration.
- If you do not have a predefined configuration you can select "default" or "custom" (if setting to "custom" see the following instructions)
Custom configuration is done in three parts:
- Upload configuration
- What to upload and organize the various elements of the email (PDF message conversion, attachments, original email message)
- Email and attachment formatting
- How to upload (file naming convention)
- Automatic filing
- Where to put the email - determine a sub-folder based on the messages content
To configure a section, select the section in the selection menu.
Do not overwrite existing messages
Check this option if you do not want S&S to overwrite a preexisting email that has the same file name (e.g. subject). Upon a file collision, S&S will add an incremental number to the end of the file name.
e.g. "proposal-1.pdf", "proposal-2.pdf", etc.
To save an email's attachments as separate files check this option.
Use a sub-folder to store attachments
If you want the attachments saved to a separate sub-folder select this option and indicate the name of the sub-folder.
Save message as PDF
To save a searchable PDF version of the email body (message), select this option.
Example email saved as a PDF
Use a sub-folder to store PDF version
If you want PDF conversions of emails saved to a separate sub-folder select this option and indicate the name of the sub-folder.
Save message as an .eml source file
Saves an original copy of the email that can be later opened by an email client and acted on (replied to, forwarded, etc.)
Save email source as MSG
If you would prefer to save the original copy in the MSG file format, instead of EML, select this option.
Use a sub-folder to store source
If you want original copies of emails saved to a separate sub-folder select this option and indicate the name of the sub-folder.
Email and Attachment formatting
You can use properties of the message to name PDF and Original files stored. Common options are:
- subject - Ex: "Final Proposal.pdf"
- Received Date - Sender: e.g. "firstname.lastname@example.org"
- Received Date - Subject: e.g. "20170113_1234-Latest proposal.pdf" (see animation below)
Example of messages saved to Box with auto-naming convention set to date_stamp + subject:
(red underlines added for emphasis)
Note: "Received Date" can be sorted alphabetically and result in a chronological listing. You can drag select multiple fields and drag them to the order you want.
Example configuration of file naming convention